Warm Up Exercise
Latin Bassline Groove from "Seniorita"
Print-friendly chord sheet available for Patreon supporters
- Get the PDF here -- after clicking and logging in to Patreon, look for the file attached to the bottom of the post.
Supporting me on Patreon gives you access to the PDF for this as well as 150+ other lessons. One month minimum ($3, cancel anytime) gets you access to everything... here's a free sample. Thanks for supporting me and this project!
In this lesson I’ll show you a warm up exercise based on the song Seniorita by Shawn Mendes and Camilla Cabello. This exercise specifically focuses on the bassline heard during the song. I’ll start by teaching the bassline by itself, and then from there add a few layers of spice & flourish. This includes some percussive techniques you can use to add flair, but also includes adding full chord shapes and some fills to transition between each chord. In the end, this results in a very satisfying array of exercises you can dive into and have fun with. Great for warming up! I hope you enjoy.
- 0:00 Playthrough & overview
- 2:10 Chord shapes needed
- 4:42 Exercise 1: Simple bassline
- 7:27 Exercise 2: Adding full chord shapes
- 10:27 Exercise 3: Adding fills (easier)
- 13:48 Exercise 4: Adding fills (advanced)
- 16:45 Farewell
The song this exercise is based on
I especially recommend giving the song Señiorita a listen, as you can hear this exact bassline groove in full effect! Even if you don’t care for pop music, hearing the groove within this song is a nice way to get the rhythm established in your ear.
Enjoy my lessons? Buy me a beer!
If this and my other lessons have proven helpful to you, please consider making a one-time donation to my tip jar. Contributions of any amount help make this project possible (including the many, many hours I put into it).
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Be sure to never miss a lesson by subscribing on YouTube. I put out 2-3 new videos every week. These include full song lessons, as well as covers, practice tips, behind-the-scenes updates. Thanks!
Recent video lessons:
📝 Print-friendly PDFs now available for all new lessons I make, including all those listed below. Get a free sample »
- Sedona by Houndmouth
Aug 9, 2020 • Lesson #313
- 3 ways to strum without a pick
Aug 8, 2020 • Lesson #317
- Summertime by Billy Strings / Doc Watson
Aug 1, 2020 • Lesson #279
- Riffs with Circular Bass Lines
July 25, 2020 • Lesson #314
- Happy Birthday triad exercise (Key of G)
July 23, 2020 • Lesson #312
- 3 ways to silence strings with your left hand
July 18, 2020 • Lesson #311
- Keep the Wolves Away by Uncle Lucius
July 10, 2020 • Lesson #310
- Will You Love Me Tomorrow by The Shirelles / Carole King
July 4, 2020 • Lesson #309
- Stand By Me by Ben E. King
June 28, 2020 • Lesson #308
- Mr. Bojangles by Jerry Jeff Walker
June 21, 2020 • Lesson #307
- Willin' by Little Feat
June 13, 2020 • Lesson #306
- My Church by Maren Morris
June 7, 2020 • Lesson #305
- Pull-off Exercise (Key of C)
June 6, 2020 • Lesson #304