Print-friendly chord sheet available for Patreon supporters
- Get the PDF here -- after clicking and logging in to Patreon, look for the file attached to the bottom of the post.
Supporting me on Patreon gives you access to the PDF for this as well as 150+ other lessons. One month minimum ($3, cancel anytime) gets you access to everything... here's a free sample. Thanks for supporting me and this project!
In this lesson I’ll show you 7 tips for reading & writing strumming patterns as part of your ongoing guitar play & practice. Whether you’re following along with another lesson, learning a song by ear, or writing songs for yourself – there’s many situations where this is a vital skill to have as a guitarist. No reading music, no dissecting tabs… this one is all about simple, practical ways to write down those ups & down strums in ways you can easily read later. I’ll cover the basics, and then get into some slightly more advanced grounds in looking at things like accents, rests, slap strumming, and bass notes.
Timestamps for this video:
- 0:00 Lesson overview
- 1:02 Tip 1 - Ups & down strums
- 2:32 Tip 2 - Counting & rhythm
- 4:25 Tip 3 - Combining timing w/ strum directions
- 6:02 Tip 4 - Rests & Silence
- 7:51 Tip 5 - Accented Strums
- 10:25 Tip 6 - Bass Note Strumming
- 13:04 Tip 7 - Slap Strumming
- 14:05 Farewell
Related lesson I made
Here’s my video on “slap strumming” technique I mention in tip #7.
Enjoy my lessons? Buy me a beer!
If this and my other lessons have proven helpful to you, please consider making a one-time donation to my tip jar. Contributions of any amount help make this project possible (including the many, many hours I put into it).
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Be sure to never miss a lesson by subscribing on YouTube. I put out 2-3 new videos every week. These include full song lessons, as well as covers, practice tips, behind-the-scenes updates. Thanks!
Recent video lessons:
📝 Print-friendly PDFs now available for all new lessons I make, including all those listed below. Get a free sample »
- Sedona by Houndmouth
Aug 9, 2020 • Lesson #313
- 3 ways to strum without a pick
Aug 8, 2020 • Lesson #317
- Summertime by Billy Strings / Doc Watson
Aug 1, 2020 • Lesson #279
- Riffs with Circular Bass Lines
July 25, 2020 • Lesson #314
- Happy Birthday triad exercise (Key of G)
July 23, 2020 • Lesson #312
- 3 ways to silence strings with your left hand
July 18, 2020 • Lesson #311
- Keep the Wolves Away by Uncle Lucius
July 10, 2020 • Lesson #310
- Will You Love Me Tomorrow by The Shirelles / Carole King
July 4, 2020 • Lesson #309
- Stand By Me by Ben E. King
June 28, 2020 • Lesson #308
- Mr. Bojangles by Jerry Jeff Walker
June 21, 2020 • Lesson #307
- Willin' by Little Feat
June 13, 2020 • Lesson #306
- My Church by Maren Morris
June 7, 2020 • Lesson #305
- Pull-off Exercise (Key of C)
June 6, 2020 • Lesson #304