Guitar lesson for
by The Rolling Stones • Lesson #274
Intro guitar lesson
Here’s my lesson on how to play the intro (first 20 measures). Check back later this week for my full song lesson.
Get the PDF chord sheet (3 pages)
- Support me on Patreon.com to get access to this and 200+ other PDF chord sheets I've made, plus new PDFs I make going forward (1-2 added each week).
- The cost is $3/month (one month minimum, cancel anytime). Here's a free sample if you're on the fence. Thanks for supporting me & this project!
After clicking the button and logging in to Patreon, look for the PDF attached to the bottom of the post.
Hey friends, here’s my lesson teaching you how to play the intro sequence to “Sweet Virginia” by the Rolling Stones, from their classic 1972 album Exile on Main Street. I’ll be focusing on the first 20 measures, which offer a great sampling of guitar technique: strumming, walking bass notes, little fills, and a few lead riffs you can imitate with a solo acoustic guitar while strumming. I’ll break all this down thoroughly in my video. Whether a relative beginner or pretty far along your guitar journey, I trust this will help take you where you want to go.
A quick final note: as per usual, I’m less interested with highlighting every single note that Keith Richards & Mick Taylor are technically playing, in all cases – as this would be quite tedious and miss the forest for the trees, in my opinion. Instead, I’ll show you the lay of the land, explain the foundation, and talk about how to approach the intro overall – so you’ll be able to pick it up and run with it, no matter your skill level.
- 0:00 Lesson overview
- 0:51 Intro tab: big picture
- 2:30 Chords needed
- 3:57 Strumming (simple & advanced)
- 7:05 Intro tab: line-by-line walkthrough
- 16:30 Lead riff at the end of the intro
- 18:05 Tips for mimicking the lead guitar
- 19:55 Playthrough (simple & advanced)
- 21:28 Farewell
Recordings of this song
Rolling Stones studio album version:
Rolling Stones live version:
Lyrics with chords
(Capo 2nd fret) INTRO G D G (C) G C A7 G G C A7 G G C A7 G C G D G (C) G VERSE C A7 G Wadin'... through the waste... stormy winter C A7 G And there's... not a friend... to help you through C A7 G C Tryin'... to stop the waves... behind your eyeballs, uh huh G D G (C) G Drop your reds... drop your greens and blues C A7 G Thank you... for your wine... California G A7 G Thank you... for your sweet... and bitter fruits G A7 G C Yes I... got the desert... in my toenail, uh huh G D G (C) G And I hid the speed inside my shoe CHORUS C A7 G But come on... come on down... Sweet Virginia--- C A7 G Come on... honey child... I beg of you---- C A7 G C Come on... come on down... you got it in ya--- uh huh G D G (C) G Got to scrape the shit right off your shoes BREAK / SOLO C A7 G G C A7 G G C A7 G C G D G (C) G C A7 G Yeah, I want you to come on... come on down... Sweet Virginia---- C A7 G I want you to come on... honey child... I beg of you---- C A7 G C I want you come on... honey child... you got it in ya, uh huh G D G (C) G Got to scrape that shit right off your shoes.......... one more time! C A7 G But come on... come on down... Sweet Virginia C A7 G Come on... come on down... I beg of you C A7 G C Come on... come on down... you got it in ya, uh huh G D C G Got to scrape that shit right off your shoes------- [let final two chords ring]
Chord progression (key of G)
| C . . . | A7 . . . | G G C A7 G G C A7 G C G D G (C) G
Enjoy my lessons? Buy me a beer!
If this and my other lessons have proven helpful to you, please consider making a one-time donation to my tip jar. Contributions of any amount help make this project possible (including the many, many hours I put into it).
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Be sure to never miss a lesson by subscribing on YouTube. I put out 2-3 new videos every week. These include full song lessons, as well as covers, practice tips, behind-the-scenes updates. Thanks!
Recent video lessons:
📝 Print-friendly PDFs now available for all new lessons I make, including all those listed below. Get a free sample »
- Father and Son by Cat Stevens
Oct 18, 2020 • Lesson #333
- Layla by Eric Clapton (acoustic)
Oct 11, 2020 • Lesson #103
- Tennessee Whiskey by Chris Stapleton
Oct 9, 2020 • Lesson #331
- Norwegian Wood by The Beatles
Oct 4, 2020 • Lesson #169
- Sultans of Swing (chorus lick) by Dire Straits
Oct 3, 2020 • Lesson #174
- Surrender (acoustic) by Cheap Trick
Sep 27, 2020 • Lesson #330
- Ring of Fire by Johnny Cash
Sep 25, 2020 • Lesson #134
- Welcome to Paradise by Tyler Childers / Green Day
Sep 19, 2020 • Lesson #322
- Betty by Taylor Swift
Sep 17, 2020 • Lesson #321
- Rapid-fire Q&A: Up-strums, tricky rhythms, muting with your thumb, and more
Sep 13, 2020 • Lesson #329
- Old Man by Neil Young
Sep 12, 2020 • Lesson #328
- 2-finger Blues in Drop-D Tuning
Sep 6, 2020 • Lesson #163
- Learning the intro riff to "Old Man" by Neil Young
Sep 5, 2020 • Lesson #326
- Learnin' to Fly by Tom Petty
Aug 29, 2020 • Lesson #108