Tips & Techniques
Syncopation and Sus Chords
Get the PDF chord sheet (1 page)
- Support me on Patreon.com to get access to this and 200+ other PDF chord sheets I've made, plus new PDFs I make going forward (1-2 added each week).
- The cost is $3/month (one month minimum, cancel anytime). Here's a free sample if you're on the fence. Thanks for supporting me & this project!
After clicking the button and logging in to Patreon, look for the PDF attached to the bottom of the post.
Hey friends! Here’s a quick rhythm technique video, where I talk about sus chords, strumming, and syncopation – which latter term referring to strumming on the “off” beat. Even if you don’t know what these terms mean, I’m certain your ear will immediately hear what I’m talking about. A great many songs use sus chords (e.g., Dsus2, Asus4, etc) – and they’re often played in a way where syncopation is embraced. I wanted to do a quick deep dive into this topic, and visually show via my PDF diagram what exactly is going on with this technique. I hope you enjoy!
Learn more about syncopation
Here’s a podcast episode of Music Student 101 where they talk at length about syncopation, breaking it down into simple terms. The examples they play are especially helpful. I recommend for sure!
Enjoy my lessons? Buy me a beer!
If this and my other lessons have proven helpful to you, please consider making a one-time donation to my tip jar. Contributions of any amount help make this project possible (including the many, many hours I put into it).
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Be sure to never miss a lesson by subscribing on YouTube. I put out 2-3 new videos every week. These include full song lessons, as well as covers, practice tips, behind-the-scenes updates. Thanks!
Recent video lessons:
📝 Print-friendly PDFs now available for all new lessons I make, including all those listed below. Get a free sample »
- G-chord finger position guide
Oct 25, 2020 • Lesson #334
- Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd
Oct 23, 2020 • Lesson #65
- Father and Son by Cat Stevens
Oct 18, 2020 • Lesson #333
- Layla by Eric Clapton (acoustic)
Oct 11, 2020 • Lesson #103
- Tennessee Whiskey by Chris Stapleton
Oct 9, 2020 • Lesson #331
- Norwegian Wood by The Beatles
Oct 4, 2020 • Lesson #169
- Sultans of Swing (chorus lick) by Dire Straits
Oct 3, 2020 • Lesson #174
- Surrender (acoustic) by Cheap Trick
Sep 27, 2020 • Lesson #330
- Ring of Fire by Johnny Cash
Sep 25, 2020 • Lesson #134
- Welcome to Paradise by Tyler Childers / Green Day
Sep 19, 2020 • Lesson #322
- Betty by Taylor Swift
Sep 17, 2020 • Lesson #321
- Rapid-fire Q&A: Up-strums, tricky rhythms, muting with your thumb, and more
Sep 13, 2020 • Lesson #329
- Old Man by Neil Young
Sep 12, 2020 • Lesson #328
- 2-finger Blues in Drop-D Tuning
Sep 6, 2020 • Lesson #163
- Learning the intro riff to "Old Man" by Neil Young
Sep 5, 2020 • Lesson #326
- Learnin' to Fly by Tom Petty
Aug 29, 2020 • Lesson #108