Warm Up Exercise
Backwoods Pull-Off Exercise (Key of C)
Get the PDF chord sheet (2 pages)
- Support me on Patreon.com to get access to this and 200+ other PDF chord sheets I've made, plus new PDFs I make going forward (1-2 added each week).
- The cost is $3/month (one month minimum, cancel anytime). Here's a free sample if you're on the fence. Thanks for supporting me & this project!
After clicking the button and logging in to Patreon, look for the PDF attached to the bottom of the post.
Hey friends! Here’s a quick exercise to help you practice your left-pinky pull-off technique. By pull-off, I’m referring to the opposite of a hammer-on… where a finger is forcefully pulled “off” of a fretted string, such that it sounds like the string is being plucked.
Specially, we’ll be doing these three transitions –– where the left pinky (highlighted) is initial positioned on the 3rd fret…
But then, after the pinky is pulled off, it’s the red note shown below that will sound out, as if it was plucked.
This is a great way to add flourish to any riff in a way that’s done entirely with the left hand. This riff in particular includes a few of the most common pull-off scenarios beginner guitarists will encounter.
Here’s a preview of the full PDF (attached at the bottom of this post):
Thanks to supporter Erik for sending in the song I based this lesson off of (Chillin in the Backwoods by Jawga Boys). While I didn’t know the song, this intro riff caught my ear at once –– and I knew it’d make for a good lesson showing this technique.
I’d eventually love to do some more focused lessons on the hammer-on and pull-off techniques with a very technical focus – but until then, I trust this exercise might be a good one to try out.
Thanks and until next time ✌️
Enjoy my lessons? Buy me a beer!
If this and my other lessons have proven helpful to you, please consider making a one-time donation to my tip jar. Contributions of any amount help make this project possible (including the many, many hours I put into it).
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Be sure to never miss a lesson by subscribing on YouTube. I put out 2-3 new videos every week. These include full song lessons, as well as covers, practice tips, behind-the-scenes updates. Thanks!
Recent video lessons:
📝 Print-friendly PDFs now available for all new lessons I make, including all those listed below. Get a free sample »
- G-chord finger position guide
Oct 25, 2020 • Lesson #334
- Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd
Oct 23, 2020 • Lesson #65
- Father and Son by Cat Stevens
Oct 18, 2020 • Lesson #333
- Layla by Eric Clapton (acoustic)
Oct 11, 2020 • Lesson #103
- Tennessee Whiskey by Chris Stapleton
Oct 9, 2020 • Lesson #331
- Norwegian Wood by The Beatles
Oct 4, 2020 • Lesson #169
- Sultans of Swing (chorus lick) by Dire Straits
Oct 3, 2020 • Lesson #174
- Surrender (acoustic) by Cheap Trick
Sep 27, 2020 • Lesson #330
- Ring of Fire by Johnny Cash
Sep 25, 2020 • Lesson #134
- Welcome to Paradise by Tyler Childers / Green Day
Sep 19, 2020 • Lesson #322
- Betty by Taylor Swift
Sep 17, 2020 • Lesson #321
- Rapid-fire Q&A: Up-strums, tricky rhythms, muting with your thumb, and more
Sep 13, 2020 • Lesson #329
- Old Man by Neil Young
Sep 12, 2020 • Lesson #328
- 2-finger Blues in Drop-D Tuning
Sep 6, 2020 • Lesson #163
- Learning the intro riff to "Old Man" by Neil Young
Sep 5, 2020 • Lesson #326
- Learnin' to Fly by Tom Petty
Aug 29, 2020 • Lesson #108