Guitar lesson for
Stand By Me
by Ben E. King • Lesson #308
Print-friendly chord sheet available for Patreon supporters
- Get the PDF here -- after clicking and logging in to Patreon, look for the file attached to the bottom of the post.
Supporting me on Patreon gives you access to the PDF for this as well as 150+ other lessons. One month minimum ($3, cancel anytime) gets you access to everything... here's a free sample. Thanks for supporting me and this project!
Hey friends! Here’s a lesson showing you how to play the Ben E. King classic “Stand By Me” with an acoustic guitar, no capo, key of C. Notably, I’m deviating from the “official” key of this song (Key of A) in order to prioritize an “easy to play & sounds just like the song” arrangement, which I trust you’ll find helpful. I break the lesson into two halves: (1) learning the intro, and then (2) learning how to strum the verse & chorus sections. Here’s timestamps for my video lesson:
- 0:00 Lesson overview
- 2:10 Intro riff: the basics
- 9:13 Intro riff: adding percussion
- 16:02 Verse & chorus strumming
- 23:46 Full playthrough
I hope you enjoy!
Notes on capo and “key”
Ben E. King’s version of this song is in the Key of A. Most guitar lessons show you how to play it in the key of G, using capo on 2nd fret. I don’t care for either of these options, when playing solo acoustic guitar. Why? Neither allows you to play the full bass line tab, due to the guitar “not going low enough” with regard to available bass notes. As such, I like to play it in the Key of C, which is what I do in my lesson.
If you do want to use the key of C and play along with Ben E. King’s version, slap a capo on the 9th fret.
See PDF chord sheet.
Lyrics with chords
C C Am Am When the night, has come... and the land is dark F G C C And the moon is the only... light we'll see C C Am Am No I won't... be afraid... oh, I won't... be afraid F G C C Just as long... as you stand... stand by me... so darling, darling C C Am Am Stand... by me... oh, stand... by me F G C C Oh, stand....... stand by me... stand by me C C Am Am If the sky... that we look upon....... should tumble and fall F G C C Or the mountain... should crumble... to the sea C C Am Am I won't cry... I won't cry... no, I won't... shed a tear F G C C Just as long... as you stand... stand by me... and darling, darling [C] Stand, by [C] me... oh, [Am] stand, by [Am] me... Whoa, [F] stand...[G], stand by me [C], stand by me [C] [ Instrumental verse ] [C] Darling, darling [C] Stand... by [C] me... oh, [Am] stand, by [Am] me... oh, [F] stand...[G], stand by me [C], stand by me [C] [C] Whenever you're in trouble won't you [C] Stand... by [C] me... oh, [Am] stand, by [Am] me... oh, [F] stand...[G], stand by me [C], stand by me [C] [ repeat chorus if desired, fade out, end on C ]
Enjoy my lessons? Buy me a beer!
If this and my other lessons have proven helpful to you, please consider making a one-time donation to my tip jar. Contributions of any amount help make this project possible (including the many, many hours I put into it).
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Be sure to never miss a lesson by subscribing on YouTube. I put out 2-3 new videos every week. These include full song lessons, as well as covers, practice tips, behind-the-scenes updates. Thanks!
Recent video lessons:
📝 Print-friendly PDFs now available for all new lessons I make, including all those listed below. Get a free sample »
- Summertime by Billy Strings / Doc Watson
Aug 1, 2020 • Lesson #279
- Riffs with Circular Bass Lines
July 25, 2020 • Lesson #314
- Happy Birthday triad exercise (Key of G)
July 23, 2020 • Lesson #312
- 3 ways to silence strings with your left hand
July 18, 2020 • Lesson #311
- Keep the Wolves Away by Uncle Lucius
July 10, 2020 • Lesson #310
- Will You Love Me Tomorrow by The Shirelles / Carole King
July 4, 2020 • Lesson #309
- Stand By Me by Ben E. King
June 28, 2020 • Lesson #308
- Mr. Bojangles by Jerry Jeff Walker
June 21, 2020 • Lesson #307
- Willin' by Little Feat
June 13, 2020 • Lesson #306
- My Church by Maren Morris
June 7, 2020 • Lesson #305
- Pull-off Exercise (Key of C)
June 6, 2020 • Lesson #304
- Don't Think Twice, It's All Right (fingerstyle) by Bob Dylan
May 30, 2020 • Lesson #303
- Don't Think Twice, It's All Right (strum version) by Bob Dylan
May 24, 2020 • Lesson #301
- Travis Picking vs. Normal Fingerstyle
May 16, 2020 • Lesson #302
- Which guitar pick I use
May 9, 2020 • Lesson #300
- I've Just Seen a Face (intro riff) by The Beatles
May 8, 2020 • Lesson #299
- I've Just Seen a Face (full song) by The Beatles
May 4, 2020 • Lesson #298
- Country Bass Line Exercise in 6/8 Time
Apr 26, 2020 • Lesson #297
- Under the Milky Way by The Church
Apr 19, 2020 • Lesson #296
- Hello in There (intro riff) by John Prine
Apr 12, 2020 • Lesson #295
- Clay Pigeons by John Prine
Apr 8, 2020 • Lesson #294
- House of the Rising Sun by The Animals (easy fingerstyle)
Mar 31, 2020 • Lesson #293
- New! Browse my lessons by category, genre, decade, and more
Mar 29, 2020 • Lesson #292