Guitar lesson for
Stand By Me
by Ben E. King • Lesson #308
Get the PDF chord sheet (2 pages)
- Support me on Patreon.com to get access to this and 200+ other PDF chord sheets I've made, plus new PDFs I make going forward (1-2 added each week).
- The cost is $3/month (one month minimum, cancel anytime). Here's a free sample if you're on the fence. Thanks for supporting me & this project!
After clicking the button and logging in to Patreon, look for the PDF attached to the bottom of the post.
Hey friends! Here’s a lesson showing you how to play the Ben E. King classic “Stand By Me” with an acoustic guitar, no capo, key of C. Notably, I’m deviating from the “official” key of this song (Key of A) in order to prioritize an “easy to play & sounds just like the song” arrangement, which I trust you’ll find helpful. I break the lesson into two halves: (1) learning the intro, and then (2) learning how to strum the verse & chorus sections. Here’s timestamps for my video lesson:
- 0:00 Lesson overview
- 2:10 Intro riff: the basics
- 9:13 Intro riff: adding percussion
- 16:02 Verse & chorus strumming
- 23:46 Full playthrough
I hope you enjoy!
Notes on capo and “key”
Ben E. King’s version of this song is in the Key of A. Most guitar lessons show you how to play it in the key of G, using capo on 2nd fret. I don’t care for either of these options, when playing solo acoustic guitar. Why? Neither allows you to play the full bass line tab, due to the guitar “not going low enough” with regard to available bass notes. As such, I like to play it in the Key of C, which is what I do in my lesson.
If you do want to use the key of C and play along with Ben E. King’s version, slap a capo on the 9th fret.
See PDF chord sheet.
Lyrics with chords
C C Am Am When the night, has come... and the land is dark F G C C And the moon is the only... light we'll see C C Am Am No I won't... be afraid... oh, I won't... be afraid F G C C Just as long... as you stand... stand by me... so darling, darling C C Am Am Stand... by me... oh, stand... by me F G C C Oh, stand....... stand by me... stand by me C C Am Am If the sky... that we look upon....... should tumble and fall F G C C Or the mountain... should crumble... to the sea C C Am Am I won't cry... I won't cry... no, I won't... shed a tear F G C C Just as long... as you stand... stand by me... and darling, darling [C] Stand, by [C] me... oh, [Am] stand, by [Am] me... Whoa, [F] stand...[G], stand by me [C], stand by me [C] [ Instrumental verse ] [C] Darling, darling [C] Stand... by [C] me... oh, [Am] stand, by [Am] me... oh, [F] stand...[G], stand by me [C], stand by me [C] [C] Whenever you're in trouble won't you [C] Stand... by [C] me... oh, [Am] stand, by [Am] me... oh, [F] stand...[G], stand by me [C], stand by me [C] [ repeat chorus if desired, fade out, end on C ]
Enjoy my lessons? Buy me a beer!
If this and my other lessons have proven helpful to you, please consider making a one-time donation to my tip jar. Contributions of any amount help make this project possible (including the many, many hours I put into it).
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Be sure to never miss a lesson by subscribing on YouTube. I put out 2-3 new videos every week. These include full song lessons, as well as covers, practice tips, behind-the-scenes updates. Thanks!
Recent video lessons:
📝 Print-friendly PDFs now available for all new lessons I make, including all those listed below. Get a free sample »
- G-chord finger position guide
Oct 25, 2020 • Lesson #334
- Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd
Oct 23, 2020 • Lesson #65
- Father and Son by Cat Stevens
Oct 18, 2020 • Lesson #333
- Layla by Eric Clapton (acoustic)
Oct 11, 2020 • Lesson #103
- Tennessee Whiskey by Chris Stapleton
Oct 9, 2020 • Lesson #331
- Norwegian Wood by The Beatles
Oct 4, 2020 • Lesson #169
- Sultans of Swing (chorus lick) by Dire Straits
Oct 3, 2020 • Lesson #174
- Surrender (acoustic) by Cheap Trick
Sep 27, 2020 • Lesson #330
- Ring of Fire by Johnny Cash
Sep 25, 2020 • Lesson #134
- Welcome to Paradise by Tyler Childers / Green Day
Sep 19, 2020 • Lesson #322
- Betty by Taylor Swift
Sep 17, 2020 • Lesson #321
- Rapid-fire Q&A: Up-strums, tricky rhythms, muting with your thumb, and more
Sep 13, 2020 • Lesson #329
- Old Man by Neil Young
Sep 12, 2020 • Lesson #328
- 2-finger Blues in Drop-D Tuning
Sep 6, 2020 • Lesson #163
- Learning the intro riff to "Old Man" by Neil Young
Sep 5, 2020 • Lesson #326
- Learnin' to Fly by Tom Petty
Aug 29, 2020 • Lesson #108