Get the PDF chord sheet (2 pages)
- Support me on Patreon.com to get access to this and 200+ other PDF chord sheets I've made, plus new PDFs I make going forward (1-2 added each week).
- The cost is $3/month (one month minimum, cancel anytime). Here's a free sample if you're on the fence. Thanks for supporting me & this project!
After clicking the button and logging in to Patreon, look for the PDF attached to the bottom of the post.
After many requests, I’m proud to share this lesson teaching you how to play El Paso, the classic 1959 song from Marty Robbins. This one has a delicious intro riff (which I’ll teach in depth), as well as standard cowboy chords that make up the verse & chorus. I’ll teach all this, including 3 different ways to approach the strumming. Enjoy!
Timestamps for my video lesson:
- 0:00 Lesson overview
- 0:59 Chord shapes needed
- 1:42 Chord progressions (verse & chorus)
- 5:55 Strumming patterns (3 options)
- 9:45 Playthrough (1st verse & chorus)
- 11:51 Alternating bass note strumming
- 13:01 Intro riff breakdown (with tab)
- 21:44 Farewell
Video of Marty Robbins version of this song
Original studio version:
Lyrics and chords
D Em A7 D Out in the west Texas town of El Paso... I fell in love with a Mexican girl D Em A7 D Night time would find me in Rosa's cantina... music would play and Feleena would whirl D Em A7 D Blacker than night were the eyes of Feleena... wicked and evil while casting her spell D Em A7 D (D7) My love was deep for this Mexican maiden... I was in love, but in vain I could tell G G G D D D7 D7 One night a wild young cowboy came in... wild as the West Texas wind------------ D7 D7 D7 (D7) G Dashing and daring, a drink he was sharing... with wicked Feleena, the girl that I loved A7 So in an----ger I... [D] Challenged his right for the [Em] love of this maiden, [A7] down went his hand for the gun that he [D] wore My [D] challenge was answered in [Em] less than a heartbeat, [A7] the handsome young stranger lay dead on the [D] floor [D] Just for a moment I [Em] stood there in silence, [A7] shocked by the foul evil deed I had [D] done [D] Many thoughts raced through my [Em] mind as I stood there, [A7] I had but one chance and that was to [D] run [D7] Out through the back door of Rosa's I ran... out where the horses were [D] tied--- [D]--- [D7]--- [D7]--- I caught a good one, it looked like it could run... up on its back, and away I did ride Just as fast---- as I.... [D] Could from the West Texas [Em] town of El Paso, [A7] out to the badlands of New Mexico [D] [D] Back in El Paso my [Em] life would be worthless, [A7] everything's gone in life, nothing is [D] left [D] It's been so long since I've [Em] seen the young maiden, [A7] my love is stronger than my fear of [D] death I saddled up and away I did go... riding alone in the [D] dark--- [D]--- [D7]--- [D7]--- Maybe tomorrow a bullet may find me... tonight nothing's worse than this pain in my heart And at last----, here I... [D] Am on the hill over[Em]looking El Paso, [A7] I can see Rosa's cantina [D] below [D] My love is strong and it [Em] pushes me onward, [A7] down off the hill to Feleena I [D] go [D] Off to my right I see [Em] five mounted cowboys, [A7] off to my left ride a dozen or [D] more [D] Shouting and shooting, I [Em] can't let them catch me, [A7] I have to make it to Rosa's back [D] door [D7] Something is dreadfully wrong for I feel... a deep burning pain in my [D] side--- [D]--- [D7]--- [D7]--- Though I am trying to stay in the saddle... I'm getting weary, unable to ride But my love---- for... [D] Feleena is strong and I [Em] rise where I've fallen, [A7] though I am weary I can't stop to [D] rest [D] I see the white puff of [Em] smoke from the rifle, [A7] I feel the bullet go deep in my [D] chest [D] From out of nowhere [Em] Feleena has found me, [A7] kissing my cheek as she kneels by my [D] side [D] Cradled by two loving [Em] arms that I'll die for, [A7] one little kiss and Feleena, good [D] bye
See PDF chord sheet.
See PDF chord sheet.
Strumming with alternating bass notes
See PDF chord sheet.
Enjoy my lessons? Buy me a beer!
If this and my other lessons have proven helpful to you, please consider making a one-time donation to my tip jar. Contributions of any amount help make this project possible (including the many, many hours I put into it).
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Be sure to never miss a lesson by subscribing on YouTube. I put out 2-3 new videos every week. These include full song lessons, as well as covers, practice tips, behind-the-scenes updates. Thanks!
Recent video lessons:
📝 Print-friendly PDFs now available for all new lessons I make, including all those listed below. Get a free sample »
- Welcome to Paradise by Tyler Childers / Green Day
Sep 19, 2020 • Lesson #322
- Betty by Taylor Swift
Sep 17, 2020 • Lesson #321
- Rapid-fire Q&A: Up-strums, tricky rhythms, muting with your thumb, and more
Sep 13, 2020 • Lesson #329
- Old Man by Neil Young
Sep 12, 2020 • Lesson #328
- Learning the intro riff to "Old Man" by Neil Young
Sep 5, 2020 • Lesson #326
- 4 new PDFs: Tyler Childers covering Green Day, Colter Wall, Vincent Neil Emerson, and Taylor Swift
Aug 30, 2020 • Lesson #323
- Silencing strings on the 2-count (percussive technique)
Aug 23, 2020 • Lesson #325
- Patience (play-along cover) by Guns n' Roses
Aug 22, 2020 • Lesson #324
- How to access my library of 200+ PDF chord sheets
Aug 16, 2020 • Lesson #319
- El Paso by Marty Robbins
Aug 15, 2020 • Lesson #315
- Sedona by Houndmouth
Aug 9, 2020 • Lesson #313
- 3 ways to strum without a pick
Aug 8, 2020 • Lesson #317
- Summertime by Billy Strings / Doc Watson
Aug 1, 2020 • Lesson #279
- Riffs with Circular Bass Lines
July 25, 2020 • Lesson #314
- Happy Birthday triad exercise (Key of G)
July 23, 2020 • Lesson #312
- 3 ways to silence strings with your left hand
July 18, 2020 • Lesson #311
- Keep the Wolves Away by Uncle Lucius
July 10, 2020 • Lesson #310
- Will You Love Me Tomorrow by The Shirelles / Carole King
July 4, 2020 • Lesson #309
- Stand By Me by Ben E. King
June 28, 2020 • Lesson #308
- Mr. Bojangles by Jerry Jeff Walker
June 21, 2020 • Lesson #307
- Willin' by Little Feat
June 13, 2020 • Lesson #306
- My Church by Maren Morris
June 7, 2020 • Lesson #305
- Pull-off Exercise (Key of C)
June 6, 2020 • Lesson #304