Learning the opening chord to Neil Young's Old Man
Get the PDF chord sheet (3 pages)
- Support me on Patreon.com to get access to this and 200+ other PDF chord sheets I've made, plus new PDFs I make going forward (1-2 added each week).
- The cost is $3/month (one month minimum, cancel anytime). Here's a free sample if you're on the fence. Thanks for supporting me & this project!
After clicking the button and logging in to Patreon, look for the PDF attached to the bottom of the post.
Hey friends! In this video I’ll focus on “Old Man” by Neil Young – in particular, that opening chord (Dm9), and how to strum it and sound just like Neil. Even given an exact tab, this is by no means an easy feat. As such, I’ll share with you here the 5-6 exercises I created for myself when learning this opening chord – in the likely event they may be helpful to you. For context, this is an entry in my “practice log” series of videos, where I share with you tips & tidbits as I make my way through tougher sections of certain songs.
Timestamps for my video:
- 0:00 Lesson overview
- 1:45 1. Learning the two chord shapes
- 3:12 2. Understanding the basic timing
- 5:37 3. Fingerpicking & the role of dissonance
- 9:40 4. Learning the hammer-ons
- 11:26 5. The role the thinnest string plays
- 14:48 6. Putting it all together
- 19:00 Farewell & final advice
Video lesson for the full song
Coming soon – check back the weekend of September 12, 2020.
Watch Neil Young play it live
I have to recommend this video, where you can watch the Neil himself play this song live. Of course, he makes it look so effortless.
Enjoy my lessons? Buy me a beer!
If this and my other lessons have proven helpful to you, please consider making a one-time donation to my tip jar. Contributions of any amount help make this project possible (including the many, many hours I put into it).
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Be sure to never miss a lesson by subscribing on YouTube. I put out 2-3 new videos every week. These include full song lessons, as well as covers, practice tips, behind-the-scenes updates. Thanks!
Recent video lessons:
📝 Print-friendly PDFs now available for all new lessons I make, including all those listed below. Get a free sample »
- G-chord finger position guide
Oct 25, 2020 • Lesson #334
- Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd
Oct 23, 2020 • Lesson #65
- Father and Son by Cat Stevens
Oct 18, 2020 • Lesson #333
- Layla by Eric Clapton (acoustic)
Oct 11, 2020 • Lesson #103
- Tennessee Whiskey by Chris Stapleton
Oct 9, 2020 • Lesson #331
- Norwegian Wood by The Beatles
Oct 4, 2020 • Lesson #169
- Sultans of Swing (chorus lick) by Dire Straits
Oct 3, 2020 • Lesson #174
- Surrender (acoustic) by Cheap Trick
Sep 27, 2020 • Lesson #330
- Ring of Fire by Johnny Cash
Sep 25, 2020 • Lesson #134
- Welcome to Paradise by Tyler Childers / Green Day
Sep 19, 2020 • Lesson #322
- Betty by Taylor Swift
Sep 17, 2020 • Lesson #321
- Rapid-fire Q&A: Up-strums, tricky rhythms, muting with your thumb, and more
Sep 13, 2020 • Lesson #329
- Old Man by Neil Young
Sep 12, 2020 • Lesson #328
- 2-finger Blues in Drop-D Tuning
Sep 6, 2020 • Lesson #163
- Learning the intro riff to "Old Man" by Neil Young
Sep 5, 2020 • Lesson #326
- Learnin' to Fly by Tom Petty
Aug 29, 2020 • Lesson #108