Guitar lesson for
About this lesson
Hey friends! In this lesson I’ll teach you a few easy acoustic guitar versions of “First Call”, the very recognizable bugle call used in the military and at horse races. This melody only uses four notes, and can be played with your left hand staying (mostly) still in a single chord position. I’ll show you a few ways to play it using different chord voicings, and likewise explain ways you can pull this melody out of any chord shape you may play going forward. I hope you enjoy!
Print-friendly chord sheet available for Patreon supporters
- Get the PDF here -- after clicking and logging in to Patreon, look for the file attached to the bottom of the post.
Supporting me on Patreon gives you access to the PDF for this as well as 150+ other lessons. One month minimum ($3, cancel anytime) gets you access to everything... here's a free sample. Thanks for supporting me and this project!
- 0:00 Playthrough & agenda
- 0:51 Riff in key of D (2-3-2)
- 3:06 Riff in key of A (9-10-9)
- 4:04 Cool tip #1 (sliding the D-shape)
- 4:51 Cool tip #2 (using the E-shape)
- 5:47 Cool tip #3 (intervals & fretboard)
- 7:37 Farewell
Enjoy my lessons? Buy me a beer!
If this and my other lessons have proven helpful to you, please consider making a one-time donation to my tip jar. Contributions of any amount help make this project possible (including the many, many hours I put into it).
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Be sure to never miss a lesson by subscribing on YouTube. I put out 2-3 new videos every week. These include full song lessons, as well as covers, practice tips, behind-the-scenes updates. Thanks!
Recent video lessons:
📝 Print-friendly PDFs now available for all new lessons I make, including all those listed below. Get a free sample »
- Walk Right In by The Rooftop Singers (Lesson #277)
Jan 16, 2019
- Practicing Walk Ups & Walk Downs in G (Lesson #276)
Jan 10, 2019
- My top 12 videos of 2019
Jan 4, 2019
- "Sweet Virginia" (intro) by The Rolling Stones • (Lesson #274)
Dec 29, 2019
- "Sin City" by Gram Parsons (Lesson #272 & 273)
Dec 26, 2019
- 2-string beginner blues riffs (Lesson #271)
Dec 15, 2019
- "Have You Ever Seen the Rain" by CCR (Lesson #269 & 270)
Dec 7, 2019
- "My Favorite Picture of You" by Guy Clark (Lesson #268)
Nov 29, 2019
- 12 ways to modify the A-major chord (Lesson #267)
Nov 23, 2019
- 4 tips for learning Blackbird by The Beatles (Lesson #265)
Nov 5, 2019
- Fingerstyle Walkdown Exercise in C (Lesson #264)
Oct 27, 2019