Guitar lesson for
Full song lesson (Lesson #263)
- 0:00 Greeting & lesson overview
- 2:00 Playthrough of each section
- 4:31 Quick note about tuning
- 4:52 Chords needed
- 6:34 Strumming basics
- 8:29 Chord progressions overview
- 14:04 How to play the intro
- 16:00 How to play the verse (basics)
- 17:15 How to play the interlude
- 20:30 How to play the refrain (w/ pushed chords)
- 23:34 How to play the verse (adv. progression)
- 24:40 Farewell
PDF link for Patreon supporters
- Get the PDF here -- after clicking and logging in to Patreon, look for the file attached to the bottom of the post.
Supporting me on Patreon gives you access to the PDF for this as well as 145+ other lessons. One month minimum ($3, cancel anytime) gets you access to everything... here's a free sample. Thanks for supporting me and this project!
Here’s a play-along cover & full song lesson showing you how to play “Gloria” by The Lumineers. I had a blast learning this song – it uses only 4 chords (C G Am F) but the diversity of strumming and nuanced rhythm techniques really makes it fun to play. I’ll teach the chords, the progressions, a few different strumming patterns, and explain some of the advanced stuff such as “pushed” chord changes which can be utilized to great effect here. I’ll be playing in standard tuning… note, the Lumineers tune down 1/2 step to Eb Ab Db Gb Bb Eb.
This one came in by Patron request from David. Thanks for your support, David!
My play-along cover (Lesson #266)
Official Lumineers version
Here’s the Lumineers version. Remember, it’s tuned down one half step. I used this version quite a bit when practicing strumming – I’d put this one, mute all the strings on my guitar (with my left hand), and strum along throughout the song trying to stay in time. Given the speed & consistency of the strumming pattern, it’s tough to make it through the entire song without a break – but again, training myself to do so helped immensely.
Enjoy my lessons? Buy me a beer!
If this and my other lessons have proven helpful to you, please consider making a one-time donation to my tip jar. Contributions of any amount help make this project possible (including the many, many hours I put into it).
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Be sure to never miss a lesson by subscribing on YouTube. I put out 2-3 new videos every week. These include full song lessons, as well as covers, practice tips, behind-the-scenes updates. Thanks!
Recent video lessons:
📝 Print-friendly PDFs now available for all new lessons I make, including all those listed below. Get a free sample »
- 4 tips for learning Blackbird by The Beatles (Lesson #265)
Nov 5, 2019
- Fingerstyle Walkdown Exercise in C (Lesson #264)
Oct 27, 2019
- Gloria by The Lumineers (Lesson #263)
Oct 24, 2019
- I Walk The Line (Intro Riff) by Johnny Cash (Lesson #262)
Oct 19, 2019
- Lookin' Out My Back Door by Creedence Clearwater Revival (Lesson #261)
Oct 12, 2019
- How to read & write strumming patterns (Lesson #260)
Oct 6, 2019
- Riffin' on D-Cadd9-G with "Thank You" and "Can't You See" (Lesson #259)
Sept 21, 2019
- Meditative Fingerpicking (Lesson #258)
Sept 15, 2019
- Latin Bassline Groove (from "Señiorita" by Shawn Mendes & Camilla Cabello) (Lesson #257)
- Plush (acoustic) by Stone Temple Pilots (Lesson #256)
Sept 6, 2019