Tips & Techniques
Which guitar pick I use & why
The guitar pick I recommend…
Watch a video explanation & overview of my preferred pick here!
Hey friends! In this video I answer a question many of you have emailed in: which guitar pick do I use? I’ll answer the question, explaining why I use the pick I’ve favored for the past 10 years or so (Dunlop .46mm “Delrin” 41P.46, light pink) — and why I’ve settled on this pick after experimenting with a few similar ones over the years.
I recommend buying the pick from a local guitar store. But if that’s not possible, here’s a link to get it from Amazon (purchasing after clicking this link gives a few cents back to me):
Why I like this pick
The two main reasons I like the Dunlop .46mm Delrin style pick:
- It’s flexible enough to create a softer sound on the strings, but not too flimsy as to prevent you from projecting individual strings when necessary. I’ve experimented with picks from Dunlop in both directions – the next thinner version, and the next more stiff version… in both attempts, I felt like I was moving away from the sweet spot that the .46mm provides.
- It’s material has a nice “grip” on my thumb and index finger, which I find much more helpful than nylon when it comes to keeping control of the pick (and not dropping it).
In the video I’ll talk through all this and more, with some visual examples and guitar playing demonstrations to accompany some of the points I make. I hope you find this helpful… thanks to all of you who asked this question!
Enjoy my lessons? Buy me a beer!
If this and my other lessons have proven helpful to you, please consider making a one-time donation to my tip jar. Contributions of any amount help make this project possible (including the many, many hours I put into it).
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Be sure to never miss a lesson by subscribing on YouTube. I put out 2-3 new videos every week. These include full song lessons, as well as covers, practice tips, behind-the-scenes updates. Thanks!
Recent video lessons:
📝 Print-friendly PDFs now available for all new lessons I make, including all those listed below. Get a free sample »
- Sedona by Houndmouth
Aug 9, 2020 • Lesson #313
- 3 ways to strum without a pick
Aug 8, 2020 • Lesson #317
- Summertime by Billy Strings / Doc Watson
Aug 1, 2020 • Lesson #279
- Riffs with Circular Bass Lines
July 25, 2020 • Lesson #314
- Happy Birthday triad exercise (Key of G)
July 23, 2020 • Lesson #312
- 3 ways to silence strings with your left hand
July 18, 2020 • Lesson #311
- Keep the Wolves Away by Uncle Lucius
July 10, 2020 • Lesson #310
- Will You Love Me Tomorrow by The Shirelles / Carole King
July 4, 2020 • Lesson #309
- Stand By Me by Ben E. King
June 28, 2020 • Lesson #308
- Mr. Bojangles by Jerry Jeff Walker
June 21, 2020 • Lesson #307
- Willin' by Little Feat
June 13, 2020 • Lesson #306
- My Church by Maren Morris
June 7, 2020 • Lesson #305
- Pull-off Exercise (Key of C)
June 6, 2020 • Lesson #304