Warm Up Exercise
Riffs with Circular Bass Notes
Get the PDF chord sheet (2 pages)
- Support me on Patreon.com to get access to this and 200+ other PDF chord sheets I've made, plus new PDFs I make going forward (1-2 added each week).
- The cost is $3/month (one month minimum, cancel anytime). Here's a free sample if you're on the fence. Thanks for supporting me & this project!
After clicking the button and logging in to Patreon, look for the PDF attached to the bottom of the post.
Hey friends! Here’s a new lesson where I’ll teach a quick exercise in the key of E-major, 4 measures total, that uses a cyclical pattern of bass notes – E to C# to F# to B – all the while keeping the top 2-3 strings unchanged. I’ll break down this particular riff in detail, and also share a handful of other riffs that also use circular bass notes in the same manner.
As I’ve learned song after song over the years, this is something I’m finally realizing is a constant pattern in some of the riffs –– i.e., keeping the notes on the top 2-3 strings the same, while changing the bass notes in a circular manner. Check out the video & PDF, and I’ll show you what I mean!
The song that inspired this lesson
This riff comes from the first 30 seconds of The Night I Painted the Sky, by Jimmy Buffett. This has long been one of my favorite songs, and the riff has always eluded me. It was only this past month (July 2020) when I attempted to learn it again – and was able to connect the dots to some other riffs I’d learned in the past few years.
Related lessons I’ve made
Here’s past lessons I’ve created that have this same technique re: circular bass notes.
4-string E, to free up your pinky and ring finger (Lesson #253)
Jack Johnson’s “Posters” riff (Lesson #193)
Yellowcard’s “How I Go” (Lesson #23)
Enjoy my lessons? Buy me a beer!
If this and my other lessons have proven helpful to you, please consider making a one-time donation to my tip jar. Contributions of any amount help make this project possible (including the many, many hours I put into it).
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Be sure to never miss a lesson by subscribing on YouTube. I put out 2-3 new videos every week. These include full song lessons, as well as covers, practice tips, behind-the-scenes updates. Thanks!
Recent video lessons:
📝 Print-friendly PDFs now available for all new lessons I make, including all those listed below. Get a free sample »
- G-chord finger position guide
Oct 25, 2020 • Lesson #334
- Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd
Oct 23, 2020 • Lesson #65
- Father and Son by Cat Stevens
Oct 18, 2020 • Lesson #333
- Layla by Eric Clapton (acoustic)
Oct 11, 2020 • Lesson #103
- Tennessee Whiskey by Chris Stapleton
Oct 9, 2020 • Lesson #331
- Norwegian Wood by The Beatles
Oct 4, 2020 • Lesson #169
- Sultans of Swing (chorus lick) by Dire Straits
Oct 3, 2020 • Lesson #174
- Surrender (acoustic) by Cheap Trick
Sep 27, 2020 • Lesson #330
- Ring of Fire by Johnny Cash
Sep 25, 2020 • Lesson #134
- Welcome to Paradise by Tyler Childers / Green Day
Sep 19, 2020 • Lesson #322
- Betty by Taylor Swift
Sep 17, 2020 • Lesson #321
- Rapid-fire Q&A: Up-strums, tricky rhythms, muting with your thumb, and more
Sep 13, 2020 • Lesson #329
- Old Man by Neil Young
Sep 12, 2020 • Lesson #328
- 2-finger Blues in Drop-D Tuning
Sep 6, 2020 • Lesson #163
- Learning the intro riff to "Old Man" by Neil Young
Sep 5, 2020 • Lesson #326
- Learnin' to Fly by Tom Petty
Aug 29, 2020 • Lesson #108