Warm Up Exercise
Riffs with Circular Bass Notes
Print-friendly chord sheet available for Patreon supporters
- Get the PDF here -- after clicking and logging in to Patreon, look for the file attached to the bottom of the post.
Supporting me on Patreon gives you access to the PDF for this as well as 150+ other lessons. One month minimum ($3, cancel anytime) gets you access to everything... here's a free sample. Thanks for supporting me and this project!
Hey friends! Here’s a new lesson where I’ll teach a quick exercise in the key of E-major, 4 measures total, that uses a cyclical pattern of bass notes – E to C# to F# to B – all the while keeping the top 2-3 strings unchanged. I’ll break down this particular riff in detail, and also share a handful of other riffs that also use circular bass notes in the same manner.
As I’ve learned song after song over the years, this is something I’m finally realizing is a constant pattern in some of the riffs –– i.e., keeping the notes on the top 2-3 strings the same, while changing the bass notes in a circular manner. Check out the video & PDF, and I’ll show you what I mean!
The song that inspired this lesson
This riff comes from the first 30 seconds of The Night I Painted the Sky, by Jimmy Buffett. This has long been one of my favorite songs, and the riff has always eluded me. It was only this past month (July 2020) when I attempted to learn it again – and was able to connect the dots to some other riffs I’d learned in the past few years.
Related lessons I’ve made
Here’s past lessons I’ve created that have this same technique re: circular bass notes.
4-string E, to free up your pinky and ring finger (Lesson #253)
Jack Johnson’s “Posters” riff (Lesson #193)
Yellowcard’s “How I Go” (Lesson #23)
Enjoy my lessons? Buy me a beer!
If this and my other lessons have proven helpful to you, please consider making a one-time donation to my tip jar. Contributions of any amount help make this project possible (including the many, many hours I put into it).
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Be sure to never miss a lesson by subscribing on YouTube. I put out 2-3 new videos every week. These include full song lessons, as well as covers, practice tips, behind-the-scenes updates. Thanks!
Recent video lessons:
📝 Print-friendly PDFs now available for all new lessons I make, including all those listed below. Get a free sample »
- 3 ways to strum without a pick
Aug 8, 2020 • Lesson #317
- Summertime by Billy Strings / Doc Watson
Aug 1, 2020 • Lesson #279
- Riffs with Circular Bass Lines
July 25, 2020 • Lesson #314
- Happy Birthday triad exercise (Key of G)
July 23, 2020 • Lesson #312
- 3 ways to silence strings with your left hand
July 18, 2020 • Lesson #311
- Keep the Wolves Away by Uncle Lucius
July 10, 2020 • Lesson #310
- Will You Love Me Tomorrow by The Shirelles / Carole King
July 4, 2020 • Lesson #309
- Stand By Me by Ben E. King
June 28, 2020 • Lesson #308
- Mr. Bojangles by Jerry Jeff Walker
June 21, 2020 • Lesson #307
- Willin' by Little Feat
June 13, 2020 • Lesson #306
- My Church by Maren Morris
June 7, 2020 • Lesson #305
- Pull-off Exercise (Key of C)
June 6, 2020 • Lesson #304
- Don't Think Twice, It's All Right (fingerstyle) by Bob Dylan
May 30, 2020 • Lesson #303
- Don't Think Twice, It's All Right (strum version) by Bob Dylan
May 24, 2020 • Lesson #301
- Travis Picking vs. Normal Fingerstyle
May 16, 2020 • Lesson #302
- Which guitar pick I use
May 9, 2020 • Lesson #300
- I've Just Seen a Face (intro riff) by The Beatles
May 8, 2020 • Lesson #299
- I've Just Seen a Face (full song) by The Beatles
May 4, 2020 • Lesson #298
- Country Bass Line Exercise in 6/8 Time
Apr 26, 2020 • Lesson #297
- Under the Milky Way by The Church
Apr 19, 2020 • Lesson #296
- Hello in There (intro riff) by John Prine
Apr 12, 2020 • Lesson #295
- Clay Pigeons by John Prine
Apr 8, 2020 • Lesson #294
- House of the Rising Sun by The Animals (easy fingerstyle)
Mar 31, 2020 • Lesson #293
- New! Browse my lessons by category, genre, decade, and more
Mar 29, 2020 • Lesson #292