Rapid-fire Q&A: Up-strums, tricky rhythms, muting with your thumb, and more
Your questions, answered!
Hey friends! Here’s a quick Q&A video, where I’ll answer some recent questions sent in through my Patreon page. Here’s timestamps to the specific questions I answer:
- 0:00 Quick Patreon update (thanks for 3000 subs!)
- 1:23 Tips for beginner guitarist?
- 3:18 Muting strings with your thumb?
- 5:35 Up strums… how to improve?
- 8:37 Practice tips for tricky rhythms?
- 12:01 Templates for blank tab pages
Have a question? Send it in! Best way is to email email@example.com – but you can also comment here or on my Patreon page. Also: if there are topics I do answer that you’d like to see explained further (with diagrams & PDFs, too) – let me know!
Thanks for the support on Patreon!
As I note at the start of this video, thanks to all of you who are (and who have in the past) supported me on Patreon. I’ve just hit the 3000 subscriber milestone, which is something I owe entirely to all of you in my audience. The lessons will keep on coming, that’s for sure – I hope they continue to be helpful going forward.
Lessons I reference in this video
“Old Man” by Neil Young
Here’s the link to the PDF for Old Man.
“Learnin’ to Fly” by Tom Petty
Here’s the link to the PDF for Learnin’ to Fly.
Enjoy my lessons? Buy me a beer!
If this and my other lessons have proven helpful to you, please consider making a one-time donation to my tip jar. Contributions of any amount help make this project possible (including the many, many hours I put into it).
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Be sure to never miss a lesson by subscribing on YouTube. I put out 2-3 new videos every week. These include full song lessons, as well as covers, practice tips, behind-the-scenes updates. Thanks!
Recent video lessons:
📝 Print-friendly PDFs now available for all new lessons I make, including all those listed below. Get a free sample »
- Welcome to Paradise by Tyler Childers / Green Day
Sep 19, 2020 • Lesson #322
- Betty by Taylor Swift
Sep 17, 2020 • Lesson #321
- Rapid-fire Q&A: Up-strums, tricky rhythms, muting with your thumb, and more
Sep 13, 2020 • Lesson #329
- Old Man by Neil Young
Sep 12, 2020 • Lesson #328
- Learning the intro riff to "Old Man" by Neil Young
Sep 5, 2020 • Lesson #326
- 4 new PDFs: Tyler Childers covering Green Day, Colter Wall, Vincent Neil Emerson, and Taylor Swift
Aug 30, 2020 • Lesson #323
- Silencing strings on the 2-count (percussive technique)
Aug 23, 2020 • Lesson #325
- Patience (play-along cover) by Guns n' Roses
Aug 22, 2020 • Lesson #324
- How to access my library of 200+ PDF chord sheets
Aug 16, 2020 • Lesson #319
- El Paso by Marty Robbins
Aug 15, 2020 • Lesson #315
- Sedona by Houndmouth
Aug 9, 2020 • Lesson #313
- 3 ways to strum without a pick
Aug 8, 2020 • Lesson #317
- Summertime by Billy Strings / Doc Watson
Aug 1, 2020 • Lesson #279
- Riffs with Circular Bass Lines
July 25, 2020 • Lesson #314
- Happy Birthday triad exercise (Key of G)
July 23, 2020 • Lesson #312
- 3 ways to silence strings with your left hand
July 18, 2020 • Lesson #311
- Keep the Wolves Away by Uncle Lucius
July 10, 2020 • Lesson #310
- Will You Love Me Tomorrow by The Shirelles / Carole King
July 4, 2020 • Lesson #309
- Stand By Me by Ben E. King
June 28, 2020 • Lesson #308
- Mr. Bojangles by Jerry Jeff Walker
June 21, 2020 • Lesson #307
- Willin' by Little Feat
June 13, 2020 • Lesson #306
- My Church by Maren Morris
June 7, 2020 • Lesson #305
- Pull-off Exercise (Key of C)
June 6, 2020 • Lesson #304