Tips & Techniques
Travis Picking vs. "Normal" Fingerstyle
Print-friendly chord sheet available for Patreon supporters
- Get the PDF here -- after clicking and logging in to Patreon, look for the file attached to the bottom of the post.
Supporting me on Patreon gives you access to the PDF for this as well as 150+ other lessons. One month minimum ($3, cancel anytime) gets you access to everything... here's a free sample. Thanks for supporting me and this project!
Hey friends! Answering a listener question today from Patreon. The topic is Travis picking, and what makes it different from traditional fingerstyle guitar. I’ll explain the absolute basics of Travis picking, show how they’re different than “normal” fingerpicking, and we’ll look at one tab (the intro to Fleetwood Mac’s Landslide) which can be played using either style.
On the topic of Landslide in particular, this is a song I originally learned using “normal” fingerpicking, where each of my right-hand fingers was “assigned” to a string (e.g., thumb only played the 5th string for the C, G/B, and Am chords). In recent years I learned of the Travis Picking technique, where the thumb alternates between the 5th and 4th string on those same chords (for this particular riff) – and I find it’s a helpful example to look at when describing these techniques.
Here’s some video lessons I’ve made that use the “traditional” fingerstyle approach:
- True Colors (Justin Timberlake)
- Yesterday (The Beatles)
- House of the Rising Sun (The Animals)
- Lookin’ Out My Backdoor (CCR)
- The Wind (Cat Stevens)
- You’ve Got a Friend in Me (Randy Newman)
- …and many more!
And here’s some video lessons I’ve made that use the Travis picking style:
- Hello In There (John Prine)
- Clay Pigeons (John Prine)
- My Old Kentucky Home, Goodnight (John Prine)
- If I Had a Boat (Lyle Lovett)
- Sleeping on the Blacktop (Colter Wall)
- Let Him Roll (Guy Clark)
- …and many more!
PDFs are available for all lessons via the links above.
As always, I hope the explanation & demonstration is helpful! Thanks Scot for the question. If you have a question you’d like me to answer, send it in to email@example.com – I’ll see what I can do.
Thanks all! David
Enjoy my lessons? Buy me a beer!
If this and my other lessons have proven helpful to you, please consider making a one-time donation to my tip jar. Contributions of any amount help make this project possible (including the many, many hours I put into it).
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Be sure to never miss a lesson by subscribing on YouTube. I put out 2-3 new videos every week. These include full song lessons, as well as covers, practice tips, behind-the-scenes updates. Thanks!
Recent video lessons:
📝 Print-friendly PDFs now available for all new lessons I make, including all those listed below. Get a free sample »
- Summertime by Billy Strings / Doc Watson
Aug 1, 2020 • Lesson #279
- Riffs with Circular Bass Lines
July 25, 2020 • Lesson #314
- Happy Birthday triad exercise (Key of G)
July 23, 2020 • Lesson #312
- 3 ways to silence strings with your left hand
July 18, 2020 • Lesson #311
- Keep the Wolves Away by Uncle Lucius
July 10, 2020 • Lesson #310
- Will You Love Me Tomorrow by The Shirelles / Carole King
July 4, 2020 • Lesson #309
- Stand By Me by Ben E. King
June 28, 2020 • Lesson #308
- Mr. Bojangles by Jerry Jeff Walker
June 21, 2020 • Lesson #307
- Willin' by Little Feat
June 13, 2020 • Lesson #306
- My Church by Maren Morris
June 7, 2020 • Lesson #305
- Pull-off Exercise (Key of C)
June 6, 2020 • Lesson #304
- Don't Think Twice, It's All Right (fingerstyle) by Bob Dylan
May 30, 2020 • Lesson #303
- Don't Think Twice, It's All Right (strum version) by Bob Dylan
May 24, 2020 • Lesson #301
- Travis Picking vs. Normal Fingerstyle
May 16, 2020 • Lesson #302
- Which guitar pick I use
May 9, 2020 • Lesson #300
- I've Just Seen a Face (intro riff) by The Beatles
May 8, 2020 • Lesson #299
- I've Just Seen a Face (full song) by The Beatles
May 4, 2020 • Lesson #298
- Country Bass Line Exercise in 6/8 Time
Apr 26, 2020 • Lesson #297
- Under the Milky Way by The Church
Apr 19, 2020 • Lesson #296
- Hello in There (intro riff) by John Prine
Apr 12, 2020 • Lesson #295
- Clay Pigeons by John Prine
Apr 8, 2020 • Lesson #294
- House of the Rising Sun by The Animals (easy fingerstyle)
Mar 31, 2020 • Lesson #293
- New! Browse my lessons by category, genre, decade, and more
Mar 29, 2020 • Lesson #292